Fresh controversy over guard’s death in Police custody


Fresh controversy arose on Thursday following the death of a 20-year-old security guard, Jubrin Mohammed, in the custody of the Police Zonal Intervention Squad (ZIS) at Obada Police Station in Abeokuta, Ogun State.

Mohammed’s family alleged the ZIS administered electric shock as part of its torture technique to obtain a confessional statement from their son.

They told our correspondent Jubrin collapsed afterwards and the police tried but failed to revive him with milk.

When he could not ingest it, they rushed him to an undisclosed clinic where he died.

They also claimed that the some of the suspects were hurriedly released following their son’s death.

Jubrin’s death on Monday followed his arrest by operatives of the Ibafo Police Station on December 14 and his transfer to the ZIS custody in Abeokuta.

He was one of eight persons suspected of involvement in the stealing of goods valued at N10million from an industrial equipment supplier, Barka Nigeria Ltd, at Km 12, Magboro, Ibafo Ogun State.

Jubrin started work at the company owned by a Lebanese, Jamal Mahmoud, in January on a monthly salary of N30, 000.

The victim’s cousin, Saheed Isa, told The Nation the family learnt that aside being beaten, Jubrin was also given an electric shock treatment.

Isa said: “We spoke to one of the suspects was arrested with Jubrin. His name is Mohammed and he told us what happened.

“He said all the suspects were tortured one after the other by the police and that they applied electric shock on Jubrin to make him confess.

“Each suspect was taken from the cell, tortured and returned. On Monday, when they brought Jubrin back, he was in pains and could not walk. He collapsed and the policemen brought milk.

“They gave Mohammed the milk and asked him to feed Jubrin with it. Mohammed put it in Jubrin’s mouth but Jubrin could not ingest it. When it failed to revive him, the police rushed him to a clinic.”

Jubrin’s father, Mr. Mohammed Ibrahim, also told The Nation that the case was transferred from Ibafo to Obada Police Station following Mahmoud’s intervention.



About Author

Leave A Reply

Join Our Official WhatsApp Group For Hot News