More people were feared killed in Niger State yesterday after soldiers stormed parts of Minna in search of suspects who engaged troops in gun duel Thursday.
At least 10 soldiers and seven villagers were reported to have died in the clash between the military and locals at Kpaina village in Bosso Local Government.
The military said on Friday that troops had gone on a mop up operation to recover arms and ammunition from the village when they came under fire. Many soldiers were said to have gone missing following the attack.
Yesterday soldiers stormed Kpakugu area of Bosso Local Government area of Niger State in search of missing arms that their colleagues had lost in the clash, Daily Trust on Sunday learnt.
During the operation, the troops allegedly shot dead three more people.
The Senator representing Niger East Senatorial District, David Umoru, confirmed that he had been informed about the killing during the raid by soldiers.
A source had earlier told Daily Trust on Sunday that soldiers had received information about a youth who escaped to Kpakugu area with one of the military rifles that went missing during the clash on Thursday clash and went to recover it. The source said there were gunshots at about 1am in the area that caused pandemonium.
He said the soldiers shot the suspect in the leg and took him away.
When contacted, the spokesperson of the Niger State Police command, DSP Bala Elkana said the command had not received any information about yesterday’s incident.
The Assistant Director Army Public Relations, Major Njideka Agwu told Daily Trust on Sunday by phone that all information regarding the face-off would be made available to newsmen at a press briefing today.
Daily Trust on Sunday reports that many residents of the affected community and neighbouring villages have fled their homes over the crisis.