3 die, 10 injured in Benin gas explosion




Two children of the same parents and an adult yesterday died when a gas cylinder exploded at No 28, Osazuwa Street, Agbor road, in Ikpoba- Okha local government area of Edo State. Daily Trust reports that 10 other persons who sustained severe burns are receiving treatment at Enoma hospital and University of Benin Teaching Hospital.
The two dead children were identified as Favour and Odio Okotie.
Speaking with Daily Trust at the Enoma hospital, Ese Egharevba who sustained serious injuries, said the incident happened around 7am on Sunday while people were preparing for church.

Recalling the incident, she said, “I was outside with some neighbours waiting for my child who went to the toilet when we heard a bang from the room close to the kitchen. When my husband ran inside and checked, we discovered that it was a gas cylinder which somebody kept with us that exploded.”
Another victim, severely injured Christian Unuane, who spoke to journalists from his hospital bed, said he was in the bathroom when fire engulfed him. “After the 6kg gas cylinder kept in my neighbour’s room exploded, we took it out and warned people not to light matches, so I went to the bathroom to have a bath because I already put water there. I was in the bathroom when fire suddenly engulfed me,” he said.
Christian who just completed his NYSC programme appealed to the government for help.
Daily Trust


About Author

Leave A Reply

Join Our Official WhatsApp Group For Hot News