Reports from Niger showed that not less than 130 Boko Haram elements were killed on Thursday, when Nigerien Army and Troops from Chad Republic engaged the insurgents in a battle that lasted for several hours.
The attack occurred as soldiers attempted to retake Bosso town of Niger.
It could be recalled that Boko Haram last week seizedd Bosso town in Niger, killing several innocent residents, a situation which ignited the rage of Chad, which has now deployed 2,000 troops into the neighbouring Niger for a showdown with the militant group.
Sources said the Chadian troops were advancing to Bosso, a town near Lake Chad.
The battle on Thursday, according to a top security official in Nigeria, left hundreds of the Boko Haram fighters killed in the battle.
He, however, said that the battle was still ongoing with the Nigerian troops also advancing closer on the terrorists from northern Borno side.
“From the report we gathered, about 130 Boko Haram members were killed in a battle on Thursday night in a fight that lasted till Friday morning. We are confident that the battle will see to the end of this madness in this part of the country soonest”, he added.
According to him, there was no specific time in sight since the battle was not about quenching a riot but insurgency.
“This is a war situation not riot. The terrorists are well armed, they are soldiers and need serious fire power to disengage them”, he added.