Awaiting corps member missing in Bayelsa, found dead in Lagos

Fatai Owoseni, Lagos CP

Fatai Owoseni, Lagos CP

One Ifiemi Igali, a Bayelsa-born University graduate posted to Benue State by the National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, has reportedly been found dead in Lagos, three days after he got missing, the Punch reports. Igali, a Batch A, Stream 2 awaiting corps member had left Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, on Thursday last week to collect his result at a University in Delta State, where he studied Geography and Environmental Management.

But since this week, the 22-year-old had not returned home and his family members had no access to him as all means to communicate with him were futile; his phones reportedly rang out in attempt to call him. Days after he was declared missing, a policeman attached to the Ojodu-Abiodun Division, Ogun State, was said to have called a family member on Monday saying Igali was found dead by the roadside in Berger, Lagos State.

The deceased was found foaming in the mouth and nose, which made the family members to suspect that he was murdered. Speaking on the incident, the deceased’s aunt, Igali Conquer, said his Facebook updates had been wiped off. Conquer added that the circumstances surrounding the death were mysterious.She said, “Last Thursday, he left Bayelsa and said he wanted to get his result from the Niger Delta University. He spoke with the family members on Friday and we all believed he actually went to the school. We did not call him on Saturday and Sunday. I called him on Monday, but he didn’t pick his calls. Three hours later, a policeman called me and said he was involved in an accident.

“When his uncle in Lagos got to the station, he was told that his corpse was found by the roadside in Berger. The police are investigating the incident and we are also trying to investigate. “We went to all the parks in Yenagoa to ascertain whether he travelled to Delta State last Thursday or not. But the drivers said they did not see him. We checked their manifests; his name was not there. “We suspect that he was abducted and murdered because he could not have travelled to Lagos.

“Everything on his Facebook page has been deleted. I suspect something on his timeline was incriminating enough to make the alleged killer delete everything. His Whatsapp was last active on Friday. “He was a boisterous young man and was very excited to go for the youth service. “He was posted to Benue State and was supposed to go to camp on Saturday. The NYSC, however, postponed camping indefinitely. My heart is heavy,” Conquer added.

The deceased’s uncle, a policeman in Lagos, who spoke on condition of anonymity said his corpse had been deposited at the Lagos Mainland morgue for autopsy.
He said, “The policemen at the station said it was passersby that told them about the corpse. I went to the mortuary and searched his body; I didn’t see anything strange and there was no mark.

“I saw foams coming out from his mouth and nose and his body had become stiff. That is to show that he was killed on Sunday.”

Confirming the incident, the Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, DSP Muyiwa Adejobi, said investigation into the death were ongoing.
Adejobi said, “An Automated Teller Machine, ATM card and a mobile phone were found on the deceased. “No mark in his body, but he foamed in the mouth. “Investigation is ongoing to unravel the cause of the death,” Adejobi added.
Daily Post


About Author

Leave A Reply

Join Our Official WhatsApp Group For Hot News
%d bloggers like this: